Insurance Coverage


  • Is acupuncture covered by insurance?

Yes, many insurance companies now have policies that include acupuncture as a benefit. And most of these policies will cover all, or a portion of, acupuncture and acupuncture related treatments when performed by a licensed acupuncturist. 

  • What insurances do you take?

Loveland Acupuncture is currently contracted/in-network with: Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Cigna, Kaiser Permanente and United Healthcare/UMR


  • How do I find out if my insurance cover acupuncture?

Call your insurance's "patient/customer line" is one way to ask if your particular policy has benefits. Another way, that many insurances are now doing, is to log in to your online insurance account and look under/for "benefits" and then "specialty services." [Note: It is important to note here that not all policies are the same, in fact, coverage can vary not only between insurance companies but also within insurance companies.]

If you discover your insurance does cover acupuncture (which is GREAT news!), the next things you will want to find out is:

  1. What your co-pay or co-insurance is per session
  2. How many sessions you are allotted by insurance year
  3. Which condition/diagnosis codes and procedures codes are allowed/covered
  4. How much will be covered if you are trying to see an acupuncturist or clinic that is not in-network with your company
  5. What your deductible is and how much you (and your family) have met as of the current date
  6. Whether or not you need a physician's referral (this typically applies more for HMO polices)


  • Do Medicaid and Medicare cover acupuncture?

Currently neither of these programs provide coverage for acupuncture. The only version of Medicare that will cover, is the Kaiser Permanente of Colorado's Optional Supplemental CAM Rider program - if you have it, you will know what I am talking about.


  • Is acupuncture a treatment option after a car accident (or for personal injury)?​

In the state of Colorado, automobile insurance companies are required to include a minimum amount of medical coverage (called "Med Pay" for short). This coverage was put in place to help with at least the first $5,000 in medical costs following a motor vehicle accident. You do not have to find an in-network provider to use your Med Pay, you just need to find a practitioner that is willing to do the paperwork and billing involved with MVA cases (such as myself). [Note: If you plan on using your "Med Pay," be sure to provide me your claim number and agent's name and contact.]

Personal Injury ("PI" for short) is not exactly the same but if you are hurt on the job, your employer typically carries an insurance policy that will also help cover some of your medical expenses. Like Med Pay, make sure you bring in your claim number and your agent's name and contact.


  • Can I bill/submit a claim to my insurance myself?

You are absolutely allowed to submit a claim yourself, however why make it harder for yourself when I have hired a biller for this exact purpose. If, however, this is something you still wish to do, I will provide for you a "Superbill" which will have codes and prices that will show your insurance what we did, what you are seeing me for and how much you were charged for your session. 


  • If you still have questions about insurance, feel free to contact us and we will try to answer your questions to the best of our ability. smiley